Saturday, September 09, 2006

I suppose this was inevitable.



That's the Blue Shimmer, off the needles and four rows unraveled. Putting the stitches back ON the needle sure was fun.

Last night after I went to bed early (heavily drugged, with a migraine), the husbeast tripped over the yarn and pulled about two inches' worth of stitches off the needles. He carefully put it back on the couch for me to deal with in the morning. In the morning, the baby got ahold of it and created a big run about eight stitches by four rows. I picked up the stitches several times and it looked like shit no matter what I did, so I gave up, ripped back, and started over. I've already caught back up to where I was and it looks fine, so this doesn't annoy me, much. (Plus the husbeast has apologized repeatedly and thanked me for not screaming. Hahaha.)

No, what annoys the hell out of me is, while I had the sweater off the needles, I measured it, and thanks to the weird needle sizing, THE BODY IS FOUR INCHES TOO BIG. Four goddamn inches. That's a LOT. I am telling myself that because the fabric is thin, and it has a lot of drape, it will still look fine when it is worn, and it probably will, but damn it, I hate when the gauge is off that bad. (Why, yes, I am a perfectionist. Don't tell me you're just noticing it now.) If the fit is REALLY bad, once I get the sweater on my victim for fitting, I'm going to steek the body sides, cut out a hunk at each arm pit, and seam them back together. All that extra knitting for nothing. Grrr.

The good news is, I've got another week to finish the body (on my two weeks for the body and one week per sleeve plan), and it looks like I'll make it. Barring any more baby/husbeast assistance.

Thanks to everyone who sympathized or offered suggestions for the baby. We figured out what the problem was - we've been tinkering around with her diet, and she was, um, clogged up. Yesterday we filled her full of red grapes (she loves those) and the, shall we say, demon was exorcised. She slept all night and is much happier today. (Ten years from now my kid is going to realize I discussed the details of her intestines on this blog, get embarassed, have a hissy fit, and not speak to me for a week. Won't that be fun?)

Babies are weird.

I did score a Lindt hazelnut and milk chocolate bar out of the whole knitting disaster (the husbeast knows how to suck up). Time for a snack, then back to the sock mines.

Oh. And I still don't have the knitting needles I need to knit the arms. I ordered them Tuesday. Gulp.

5 comments:

TrishJ said...

You have a week to get the needles, so relax! You can get those sleeves done in no time, I know it! It will seem SO much faster after all those rows of boring blue...

Sheepish Annie said...

Sometimes meds are a good thing. In the face of disaster you can stay so melloooooooooow! Glad the baby's feeling better and that chocolate was a part of the unravelling recovery.

Bells said...

ARRGHHHH!!!! I sympathise. I really do. Having my own blogworthy sizing issues. I was thinking of you and the blue shimmer as I wrote. Sometimes it's all just too f&cking hard!

Bells said...

hey, just a thought....maybe don't leave your work on the floor so the husbeast can't trip? Just a suggestion....

Anonymous said...

As the mom of a kid who repeatedly suffered from constipation, my condolences. He's 7 now and on a [ahem] regular schedule. But as a toddler, it was like midwifing every BM for a while there. Boy, am I glad those days are over!

Condolences on the migraine, too. They just suck.