Saturday, March 17, 2007

Saturday. Pollen and yarn and stoned cats.

I don't have much to say, because I've been asleep for three days. Even if I was walking around, I swear, I was asleep. Allergies make me drowsy. What am I allergic to, you ask? Tree pollen. A SHITLOAD of tree pollen. So much pollen, that when it rained yesterday, I went out and took a picture because I knew no one would believe me, otherwise:

See the yellow-green scum on the water, and the bright white line of it along the edge? That's pine tree pollen. I'm not kidding. It rained and washed the stuff off every surface, turning the storm drains all over town yellow.

Allergies make me drowsy, and I've been sleeping off and on. I assume it affects The Baby the same way, because she's been doing the same thing. Last night she fell asleep in her high chair with a grilled cheese sandwich in her hand.


Sekhmet, whose nose is so stuffed up you can hear it whistling as she breathes, has decided to deal with things differently. She's gonna stay stoned.

That's a catnip toy in front of her. She's been sleeping with her chin on it. Stoner kitty.


I'm about twenty rounds away from finishing the blue dip-dye example sock. Then it's back to the Steeked Jacket. With the half-round shawl for interest. I'd show a picture, but it's just a half knit sock, same as last week but longer.

A nap sure sounds good.

13 comments:

Rae said...

Sleeping babies and stoned cats. If only it could be that way without the pollen. ;)

Amy Lane said...

omg allergies are kicking my ASS this season... I thought a student stole my keys yesterday, but in fact I'd just put them under a stack of paperwork in some sort of allergy coma...

that baby looks how I feel!!!!

Anonymous said...

ICK!

Poor baby and cat, and poor you as well.

At least the world domination plot will be put aside for a bit.


TrishJ.

Sheepish Annie said...

We get the same thing around my place in the summers...nice yellow puddles. And I sneeze and sneeze and sneeze! (as does my cat)

But I think I'd trade today's snowstorm for a little of the pollen right now. I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune by July when I'm all stuffed up, though. ;) Feel better!

Julie said...

Unless this is part of the world domination plan. We can't rule that out.

Unknown said...

I feel your allergy pain. Over here in Oregon...pollen and spring has come full force. I am miserable. I hope your allergies improve. Too bad we can't stay stoned like the cats. LOL!

Bells said...

Fabulous photos! She's so adorable when she's sleeping!

Canberra gets white pollen that piles up like snow drifts. I'll post photos if I remember next october. ;-)

NeedleTart said...

I am more allergic to the fall pollens (and leaf mould), but I feel your pain. Every year the Dr suggests I get an air cleaner for the bedroom (at least) and every year we put it on the list. Ah,well, living through it makes us stronger?

Alwen said...

No need to try and convince me about pine pollen -- in a couple of months I'll be able to see it coming off in clouds off the red pines along the edge of the neighbor's hayfield. Then I get in my van and have to wipe it off with the windshield wipers.

However, that's a couple of months off yet. :D

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the allergies.
However, I am looking forward to more Steeked Jacket!

ikkinlala said...

I hope you're feeling better soon.

amy said...

Yeah, we get pollen like that, too. It just coats the cars. Not today, though. Today...still snow on the ground. Stupid snow.

Feel better. If that's possible during pollen season...

Catie said...

Up at my parent's cottage they get a ton of pollen. I'm not allergic so I just think it looks cool, but I'm sure I wouldn't like it if I was allergic.

Oh and Julie I have a question for you. My friend came to me with a yarn dying question and I need your help. It seems that she is in an ethnobotany course and they are going to be dying yarn with natural dyes. She asked for what % composition she should get. All I could tell her was stay away from acrylic and go for protien based fibers.