Friday, May 11, 2007

I hope this is an omen of things to come.


I got a copy of the summer issue of Interweave Knits last night, and as usual I thought "I don't know why I buy these magazines when they piss me off" as I paid for it, and I got it home, and I looked at the patterns, and... and...

There are actually things in there I would wear.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of knitting some of them, but out of 26 patterns, I'd wear probably ten of them, if someone handed them to me. And there are two tanks (the 'sleeveless tuxedo shirt' and the 'Lutea Lace-Shoulder Shell') I am going to try to actually knit this summer. (I can knit the shell out of yarn in the stash, thereby being virtuous. Go me.) The sizes are human - most go up to a 52 inch/125cm bust. The layout has changed recently, but I like it - there's a photo montage of projects in the front, then the patterns with more, detailed photos of the projects.

In addition, there's an article on sock knitting by Ann Budd that might be worth the cost of the magzine, by itself, and their usual columns that I enjoy, like 'the knitted artifact' where they discuss a piece from a museum collection. I found out why Etsy has been bogged down all week - Amy Singer wrote an article about it for this issue.

Interweave Knits has always been the only knitting magazine that was close to rational, IMHO, and it seems to be improving now that Eunny's in charge. She needs to have a word with the stylist, though -- way too many bras hanging out in these photos. (Nothing's perfect, and really I'd prefer the bra exposure to the idiocy I see in other magazines.)

Incidentally Interweave also has a pretty nice collection of free patterns, here.

Sorry this review was positive. Vogue will put something out in the fall, don't worry.

8 comments:

Dana said...

The Lutea lace shoulder shell also caught my eye. I had some Lime Light Cotton Fleece ordered to knit Rusted Root, but now I'm torn. The short rows make such a smooth garment. Aye! Decisions!

Netter said...

I usually like IK. I don't bother with the other knitting magazines.

Amy Lane said...

I've always liked Interweave...I've just never felt funky/hip/cool enough for them...

Anonymous said...

I haven't bought the magazine yet and I was just in the bookstore buying beach reading -yea vacation.
Anyway from the itty bitty pictures online the Origami Gardi looks interesting.

Sheepish Annie said...

I'd heard really good things about this issue but haven't found it on the stands yet. I'll have to take another gander!

Anonymous said...

I don't think Euny starts til next issue. Check out Pam's letter from the editor.

Debi said...

Those were my two favorites from the mag too. And I'm beyond thrilled that unlike Vogue who will never get my dollars, just about every pattern included plus sizing, woot!

I don't believe Eunny had any input in this issue, I believe Fall 07 will be her first with Pam Allen having already planned the O7 holiday issue as well.

Alwen said...

I haven't tried to knit a sweater because I hardly ever wear sweaters. In winter, there's the wood stove, and in summer the whole point is I don't have to wear one.

I keep reading about your and Bells' steeked jackets, though, and last night I dreampt I had knitted a sweater which must have been steeked, because I was cutting it.

"Hey, you, get outta my head" -- isn't that a song!?? ;)