Friday, May 11, 2007

I've given in to peer pressure.

There's this knitting poll going around the internet, basically a 'what kind of knitting have you done?' sort of thing, and I'm sort of curious to see what I HAVE done. It's been a while. What I have done is in ITALICS, what I haven't done is in regular type (hopefully this will translate to Bloglines okay, if not, enjoy the commentary). And I'll add pithy commentary where it seems appropriate.

Afghan
I-cord
Garter stitch

Knitting with metal wire - I'd like to try this but I'm afraid it would destroy my hands
Shawl
Stockinette stitch
Socks: top-down
Socks: toe-up
Knitting with camel yarn
Mittens: Cuff-up - designed my own, Norwegian style
Mittens: Tip-down
Hat
Knitting with silk
Moebius band knitting - dude, it's the trippiest thing ever
Participating in a KAL - and leading one
Sweater - oh for crying out loud
Drop stitch patterns
Knitting with recycled/secondhand yarn
Slip stitch patterns - hate 'em because they make the knitting short and it takes forever to finish
Knitting with banana fiber yarn
Domino knitting (=modular knitting)
Twisted stitch patterns
Knitting with bamboo yarn
Two end knitting - just swatches
Charity knitting
Knitting with soy yarn
Cardigan
Toy/doll clothing
Knitting with circular needles - oh geez
Baby items
Knitting with your own hand-spun yarn - working on that
Slippers - I knit one and quit
Graffiti knitting - HUH? Is this some hip thing??
Continental knitting
Designing knitted garments
Cable stitch patterns
Lace patterns
Publishing a knitting book
Participate in an exchangeScarf
Teaching a child to knit - fun, if they're enthusiastic
American/English knitting - I've tried it
Knitting to make money - all the time, depending on how you look at it
Buttonholes - mine suck
Knitting with alpaca
Fair Isle knitting
Norwegian knitting - love it
Dying with plant colors - coffee. Gag.
Knitting items for a wedding - right now
Household items (dishcloths, washcloths, tea cosies…)
Knitting socks (or other small tubular items) on one or two circulars - the sleeves of the Bohus sweater last year... hated it but I didn't have DPNs the right size
Knitting with someone else’s hand-spun yarn
Knitting with dpns - oh geez
Holiday related knitting - every year, I'm a moron
Teaching a male how to knit - the husbeast
Bobbles - hate 'em
Knitting for a living - it's not a living, but I'm kind of doing it now
Knitting with cotton
Knitting smocking
Dying yarn - hahaha
Steeks - I think they're fun. I'm sick.
Knitting art - that's in the eye of the beholder, now, isn't it?
Knitting two socks on two circulars simultaneously - and screwed them both up simultaneously
Fulling/felting - often with disastrous results
Knitting with wool
Textured knitting
Kitchener stitch - like a party trick
Knitted flowers - I can't remember ever knitting flowers, and yet can't believe I've never knit flowers.
Purses/bags
Knitting with beads - I keep meaning to try this
Swatching - oh, for crying out loud
Long Tail CO
Entrelac - just swatches and experiments
Knitting and purling backwards - I keep meaning to learn this
Machine knitting
Knitting with self patterning/self striping/variegated yarn
Stuffed toys
Knitting with cashmere
Darning - avoided at all costs
Jewelry
Knitting with synthetic yarn
Writing a pattern - hate it, but yes
Gloves
Intarsia
Knitting with linen
Knitting for preemies
Tubular CO - I've got a funky version of it I do, I keep meaning to do an article
Free-form knitting - I'm too organized, I can't do the free part
Short rows
Cuffs/fingerless mits/arm-warmers

Pillows
Knitting a pattern from an on-line knitting magazine
RugKnitting on a loom
Thrummed knitting - I don't live in a cold enough climate, but I'm intrigued.
Knitting a gift
Knitting for pets - this cat sleeps on Australian merino
Shrug/bolero/poncho
Knitting with dog/cat hair
Hair accessories
Knitting in public - always good for a laugh



Tag, you're it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is a KAL?

Pam

Julie said...

A knit-along, where everyone gets together and knits the same thing and shares tips and suggestions. And usually puts cool buttons on their sidebars, stuff like that.