Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Etc.

I'm cruising on some migraine medication and unable to string together two coherent thoughts, so I thought I'd attempt to field some questions in the comments.

-A tutorial on fixing dropped stitches in lace knitting would be lovely, but I don't have a system for it. It's all trial and error. In a big way. I usually do it a stich at a time and keep poking at it until I figure out if it's right or not. Tracking back to yarnovers and picking up from there is a good place to start; so is working backward from decreases. Remember, when a stitch zips back to a yarnover, the column of stitches stops there. When a column of stitches zips back to a decrease, it turns into TWO unzipped stitches. I won't admit how long it took me to figure that out.

-The knife reference from the husbeast was actually documented, way back in the archives. In a nutshell, I had a pocket knife in my knitting bag and lost my temper with a cheap circular needle one night. The first mention is here; scroll down to 'I killed the Blue Shimmer'. Further lameass rastionalizations by yours truly can be found here and here. You will note in the last post I mention that the husbeast will never let me hear the end of it. And I point out that two years later, he's still going on about it. So. It's nice to be right.

4 comments:

roxie said...

IF I have to do control of bleeding, I'm going to be pissed. Snerk! I am SO going to steal that!!

Hope the farking migraine slacks off soon.

RobynR said...

*snicker* Having read your archives I actually knew that story . . . but Sekhmet's antics had pushed it way back to the back of my memory.
For what it's worth I suspect that you could have done just as much damage with a little pair of yarn scissors or one of those clover cutters it just wouldn't have been as satisfying.

Anonymous said...

Your story reminded me of my ex-husband, frustrated with shaping uncooperative clarinet reeds...he finally tossed them into the air & slashed at them on the way down with his reed knife. Over & over. Some ended up impaled on the wall.

I've been an enlisted man's wife in the army (at West Point, where high rank is everywhere) so I have seen first-hand some strange stuff. Best forgotten!

Donna Lee said...

I hope the migraine has subsided by now. Lace knitting is the most frustrating/satisfying thing.