Monday, January 26, 2009

Halfway. Ish.

So Friday when the husbeast got home from work, I kind of handed him the Goob, said "She's all yours," and crawled into my office. I spent the next three days sleeping, drinking tea, taking cold medicine, and knitting on the Faux Russian Scarf. I was so dug in, and knitting so mechanically, I got past halfway before I noticed.

There are five full pattern repeats, then another half repeat to make the whole thing symmetrical. So as I see it, eleven half-repeats in the scarf. I've got seven done. Since I cranked out about five of those repeats in the last three days, it'd be nice to finish this thing up this week, but with the in-laws coming, I'm not sure it'll happen. We'll see. Anyway, it's over half done. Which is the point where I start chanting to myself, "It will look better when it's blocked."

---

No idea how long it's going to take to finish this blog post because I'm lagging and photo uploads are taking approximately forever. We'll see.

---

Other than the scarf, I don't have much to report, for obvious reasons. Friday, while I felt vaguely decent for one shining moment, I wound off some warp (unused sock yarn) for my little baby loom, to knit a scarf. The Goob spotted the yarn strung from one end of the living room to the other (hard to miss, really), and said "What the hell is going on?" Later I told the husbeast, "Your DNA is showing."

The husbeast told me almost the same thing, later in the weekend, when the Goober was found sitting on the couch, eating a cheese stick and reading a book about dinosaurs.

Yup. Add a few years, darken the hair, it looks about right.

Thanks to all who made suggestions for the Goober's hair problem. I think the biggest issue was Mom Error. She'd been sick so I hadn't combed her hair in several days. Also, I'd been using a leave-in conditioner that I thought was helping. In a recent experiment I tried it on my own hair and found out it makes the hair sort of stick together; not what I was going for. So last night I went for the obvious solution and used my own hair products on the Goob. Seems to have worked out; today her hair was barely tangled and there was no howling when I combed it.

She keeps demanding a hair cut.

---

Still nibbling away at the design idea for Twist; we'll see how it goes. At the moment I'm hitting the design books for Art Nouveau information. Good times.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the Faux Russian Scarf looks pretty darn good now, although I'm sure it will look even better after it's blocked.

Glad you're feeling marginally better.

Amy Lane said...

Damn, that scarf looks awesome!

The Goob is gorgeous--and I'd probably have trouble cutting that awesome hair too! I used to be sooooooo obsessive about letting Chicken's grow out and putting it up into a ponytail etc. With Ladybug, I keep cutting it into a little pixie cut, and it's ADORABLE... I don't know why I didn't want to do that with Chicken's hair!

Bells said...

Shawl is looking good. Really good!

Sorry you've been so sick but to be honest, the whole locked in the study knitting thing sounds like a good way to heal.

Alwen said...

Every so often I remember my mom combing my hair in the bathtub while it (my hair, not the bathtub) was full of shampoo, which only worked once I was old enough not to get it in my eyes and thrash around.

Louiz said...

I remember when I was about 6 and we were travelling. My hair was dead straight but it didn't get combed or brushed for 2 or 2 1/2 months. My mum took me to the hair dressers, because she didn't dare try to brush it. I still avoid the hairdresers there because of the memory (and my sister must have had it worse because she was a. younger and b. much curlier hair).

Looking forwards to seeing what you do with art nouveau, which is one of my favs.

Unknown said...

Very cool scarf.

My oldest daughter's hair was hideous. She wanted it long, but since I believe she was really spinning on her head at night in order to make the mornings a challenge, she had short hair until she was about 5. When I mentioned the problem (and screaming that went with the problem) to a hair stylist, she told me to NOT use stay in or two-in-one products and definitely to not use baby shampoo, but instead use a regular shampoo and conditioner. With the conditioner, she recommended that after I put it in and let it "rest" for about 3 to 5 minutes, then use a wide tooth comb and comb the conditioner through and then pour lots of warm water over her head to rinse the stuff out totally. It works. Even when she started showering herself and to this day, she still uses conditioner that she combs through her hair. It is beautiful.

roxie said...

Faux Russian scarf rocks!

If the Goob really wants a haircut, she will no doubt figure a way to give herself one. Really, did you think you had some control in this situation?

SO glad you are feeling better! This season's viruses are tough little bastards.

Anonymous said...

my sympathies on the goober's hair. my grandgirl also has hair-tangling issues, though hers is longer and almost straight. we used a couple of dove products with great success for about 2 yrs.

then dove quit making 'em. fuckers. i'd have bought a CASE of the stuff if i'd known.

we're now trying a l'oreal product that allegedly smells like pears. smells like hair product to me.

Galad said...

Beautiful scarf though but too bad you had to get sick to make such headway.

My mother-in-law took my daughter to get her hair chopped when she was a little younger than the Goob. MIL couldn't stand the tangles anymore.