Thursday, June 18, 2009

Meme thingy.

Getting motivated to do the zero thing; it needs some quickie research first (zero was invented four times; can I remember where? Hell no). So for now, the meme that's been going around. I'm so out of it I don't know if I've been tagged or not, and it looks kinda fun.



What is your current obsession?
Spinning. It comes and goes in phases and generally I don't fight it. For several months now I've been spinning every spare minute. I think it's the satisfaction of making yarn from a ball of fuzz.

What are you wearing today?
Oh boy. Tie-dyed sweat pants, ratty socks, a tee shirt that says "books, cats, life is good", and a denim shirt with holes in it. It's been a lousy couple days. Good thing I don't have to discuss my hair.

What's for dinner?
Dunno. We've got an actual menu system (posted on the refrigerator, no less), but this week I've been ignoring it because my medication makes me wanna puke. Maybe I'll do pasta. That sounds okay.

What did you eat for your last meal?
I haven't been eating meals, but small snacks. Heavy on the granola bars. (Nature Valley, cinnamon flavor. They're almost good.)

What's the last thing you bought?
Snaps and thimbles, to finish the lavender cotton cardi with.

What are you listening to right now?
My daughter telling me about how she's in a jungle and something flew out of a tree at her and is 'flinging all my stuff'. Now the giant bird stole her lunch. My usual response to these statements is 'oh, heavens'.

If you could go anywhere in the world for the next hour, where would you go?
The Victoria and Albert Museum. Why think small? I'll chain myself to a toilet in the loo and refuse to leave.

Which language do you want to learn?
Mandarin. I haven't learned an Asian language yet, and the whole tonal thing sounds interesting.

What do you love most about where you currently live?
The biscuits. They make good biscuits in the south.

What is your favorite colour?
I'm not really able to narrow it down to one. I love all colors, especially clear, super-saturated ones.

What is your favorite piece of clothing in your own wardrobe?
I suppose that's got to be my good old Levi's jeans. Though I'm also fond of my collection of 'long floaty dresses' in silk and rayon that I wear in hot weather.

What were you doing ten years ago?
Trying to hold down a part time job and fly back and forth between Hawaii and Ohio to deal with a couple major family illnesses. Glad that's over. I think 1999 was the year I logged enough air miles to go around the world twice. And did I get to go somewhere cool? No. I went to Ohio. Isn't that always the way?

Describe your personal style?
Usually I go for comfort, but when I dress up or start spending big bucks on clothing, I go for classic. My last clothing purchase was at Brooks Brothers.

If you had $300 now, what would you spend it on?
Fiber. It's an obsession. Or perhaps I'd kick in some of my own cash and buy a drum carder. That's the newest, latest I-want-that.

What are you going to do after this?
More of the same, I imagine. Possibly knit, read some books. Try not to puke. It's a barrel of laughs at the moment - see why I'm talking about numbers?

What are your favorite films?
Lord of the Rings. Sorry, it's a cliche, but they're awesome. Um. The movies I watch over and over... Bull Durham, Triple X, The Italian Job (remake with Marky Mark), Mulan, Aladin. I like humor. Obviously.

What inspires you?
As a person? Generosity of spirit. Kindness (so simple, so underrated, so difficult sometimes). Cleverness. Smart is all well and good, but those people who take old ideas and twist them around into something new and useful, wow. That's cool.
As a fiberhead? Sort of the same thing - new takes on old ideas. I think everything's already been done, in terms of clothing, so at this stage it's a matter of making old ideas seem new.

Whose work/designs are you inspired by?
Terry Pratchett. Meg Swansen. Stephen Hawking. Vincent VanGough. Jesse James (the mechanic, not the outlaw). Martin Luther King. Boudica. Hannibal of Carthage. Um...

Your favourite books?
Geez. All of them? At the moment, I'm reading the "in Death" series by J D Robb (again). For reference I'm using "The Universal History of Numbers", "The Cartoon Book of Chemistry", and "Mad Science". Knitting books I return to over and over are "Unexpected Knitting" by Debbie New, everything by EZ and Meg, and "Knitting in the Old Way".

Do you collect anything?
Yarn and fiber, of course. Tea pots. Books.

What makes you follow a blog?
Good writing, humor, and an entertaining take on things. I'll read just about anything if it's written in an entertaining, humorous style. But of course I like to learn stuff, so new information is a plus. Doesn't really matter what topic.

What was the most enjoyable thing you did today?
So far? Lay in the recliner with my kitty. She's nice and warm. And purrs.

11 comments:

Louiz said...

I love the V&A. My granny used to live near there and took me and my sister when we were small. And not so small - she took me to the Vivienne Westwood exhibition there not long before she (my granny) died, and it was really interesting.

I shall have to look out V&A teapots next time I'm there!

Rooie said...

Oh, the V&A. My mom and I were there early one morning (over 30 years ago...yikes!) and one of the guards walked through with us, turning lights on and showing us neat stuff. My favorite room was...well, I was going to say the room with all the embroidery, which was amazing. But honestly, I think it would have to have been the tea-room, which had incredible murals...and wonderful scones....and tea that magically made my feet stop hurting.

I'm sorry you're feeling crap. Maybe it'll make you feel a little better to hear that you're now one of my favorite blogs. (I only found you recently.) I love your writing. And you write about such interesting stuff! Can I be you when I grow up? Ooops, maybe too late for that.

And your daughter's adorable.

Donna Lee said...

LOTR is probably my all time favorite and I love the in Death series. They're a guilty pleasure (but I love Eve Dallas). I have been listening to them and fortunately they're available from the online library or I'd go broke buying audio books

Liz said...

I want that books-and-cats T-shirt. I work a couple of stops down the line from the V&A these days - maybe you could come over and visit and I could steal the shirt... I think chaining yourself to one of the cabinets in the textile galleries might be good too...

Emily said...

Oh, I hope your feeling icky goes away, instantly. Totally. Never to return. What good are these awful meds doing, anyway? (I once got so sick from a med that I told the doctor that if this is how I need to feel in order to stay alive, I just don't see the point. He took me off it at once.)

My word is "requite". Hmmm.

amy said...

These are fun to read.

roxie said...

"...my kitty. She's nice and warm and she purrs." Is this Sekhmet, the bitch-goddess, the cat from hell, the payback for every evil thought you ever had in this or any other life?

TinkingBell said...

Re the Sumerians

Husbeast came home and I was talking to him about Sumerians base sixty - he said 'of course 60 - its 6 (half of 12) times 10, and 5 (half of 10 - one hand) times 12

Why would they do anything else?'

Galad said...

I've almost ordered that t-shirt so many times (and then I remember I already have too many t-shirts).

Purring cats are very comforting aren't they? One of my favorite de-stressors.

Bo... said...

Dang it---now I want a biscuit.

Cindy said...

So what kind of teapots do you collect? I am a fan of xiying pots, we've got more than a few!