Monday, March 07, 2011

Comment comments, and stuff.

There were some interesting comments and questions, so here you go. Oh, look. Blogger has fucked with their layout again. If this looks like a dog's breakfast, you know why.

---

There was a good question about growing zucchini in the tropics. I'm sure it's physically possible, but as a rule, temperate plants don't do well in the tropics. It's got to do with too much sun and heat, believe it or not. I'd try growing them indoors, and hand-pollinate the flowers with a paint brush or cotton swab.

The REAL problem with growing temperate plants in tropical climates is the potential for introducing a new species that will then eat the region because the local animals and insects don't know what to do with it. Kudzu is known as "the vine that ate the south" here in the US. Morning glories (and water hyacinth, and grasses, and...) have really messed up parts of the Hawaiian Islands. There are dozens of other examples. So before you order in zucchini seeds, make sure you're allowed to. Most state and national governments have a banned plants web page, usually through their agricultural department.

---

The reason I did the blog post on The Portland Vase is because the story of it is so unbelievable. If you read a fictional book about a vase with that history, you'd think it was crazy.

---

Folks asking for back issues of Vogue Knitting, you'll have to try their web site. If you're looking for a certain pattern, they are selling single patterns now in their pattern store.

---

I do agree that really even, smooth stockinette is one of the hardest things to knit. Many fibers will slip around, with wearing, and even themselves out, so that's fine. But straight off the needles, perfect stockinette is surprisingly difficult to master. Maybe that's one reason our ancestors were always cabling, patterning, and twisting things around?

---

I got a book on knitwear design this weekend, and there was no discussion in it of drawbacks to some fiber choices, or potential problems with some types of clothes. So I'm considering another blog series on that. For instance, a floor-length skirt out of cotton yarn will weigh more than two pounds when you're done, and so you'd best have a really good plan on how to keep it from falling off.

---

It took most of last week, but I finally got a copy of Vogue Knitting for spring. I guess I'm doing another review. Most of it is wearable this time, so it's going to be pretty boring, but I'll do it. There's some styling in there that really makes me scratch my head.

7 comments:

Crazy Colorado Knitter said...

Not only will your cotton skirt be 2 lbs, but it will sag and not hold its shape -- but will keep the shape of your butt.

I don't know how people don't understand the properties of the yarn they're using, and how someone who is allergic to wool can't just straight across replace with cotton or linen or whatever, because the fabric just doesn't have the same properties.

Anonymous said...

I'd love a blog post on fiber dos/donts.

Temperate plants and southern US can also be a problem. Full sun in NE does not equal full sun in TX.

Emma M. said...

Ohhh, right. My host mother planted a bed full of oregano (or she claims it's oregano, and it smells like oregano, but it looks different to me, the leaves are all big and thick--I'm still cooking with it, though). One of the stalks started leaning against the house and grew to SEVEN FEET TALL. And that's not even touching on the horizontal spread in that bed. That stuff is everywhere.

What about container gardening zucchini on a porch? I'm not sure our north-facing porch gets ANY sun, though. My host mom keeps cactus out there.

roxie said...

Yep, a blog post on the characteristics of different fibers would be great. Come to think of it, this is a BIG subject. Several blog posts. In fact, you might think about a book I have friends who are starting an e-press. No investment on your part except for your time and talent. Interested?

Rooie said...

"a floor-length skirt out of cotton yarn will weigh more than two pounds when you're done, and so you'd best have a really good plan on how to keep it from falling off"

Suspenders! How chic!!

"a copy of Vogue Knitting for spring....Most of it is wearable this time"

Wait a minute! Isn't this the one with the swimsuits?! I saw it in the bookstore and thought, "Oh, I can't wait for the review of this!"

I wish I could read a review from you of the latest Knitter's. Though really it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. I'm thinking of posting some of the most dreadful on my blog just for the giggles.

Corlis said...

While you're looking for blog post ideas....
Sock repair for dummies.

Amy Lane said...

I'd love a post on fiber dos/donts myself! (I know some of them by HARD trial and error... I think I might even have a picture to post about it...)

Anyway-- yeah. That vase story was crazy awesome--and almost fiction. Best kind of fact!